DISABILITY INSURANCE POLICIES
41-2103. Scope and format of policy. No policy of disability insurance shall be delivered or issued for delivery to any person in this state unless it otherwise complies with this code, and complies with the following:
(1) The entire money and other considerations therefor shall be expressed therein;
(2) The time when the insurance takes effect and terminates shall be expressed therein;
(3) It shall purport to insure only one (1) person, except that a policy may insure, originally or by subsequent amendment, upon the application of an adult member of a family, who shall be deemed the policyholder, any two (2) or more eligible members of that family, including husband, wife and any other dependent or dependents. As used in this subsection (3) and for all new and renewing policies, "dependent" includes an unmarried child under the age of twenty-five (25) years and who receives more than one-half (1/2) of his financial support from the parent, or an unmarried child of any age who is medically certified as disabled and dependent upon the parent;
(4) The style, arrangement and overall appearance of the policy shall give no undue prominence to any portion of the text, and every printed portion of the text of the policy and of any endorsements or attached papers shall be plainly printed in light-faced type of a style in general use, the size of which shall be uniform and not less than ten (10) point with a lower case unspaced alphabet length not less than one hundred twenty (120) point (the "text" shall include all printed matter except the name and address of the insurer, name or title of the policy, the brief description, if any, and captions and subcaptions);
(5) The exceptions and reductions of indemnity shall be set forth in the policy and, other than those contained in sections 41-2105 through 41-2127, Idaho Code, shall be printed, at the insurer's option, either included with the benefit provisions to which they apply, or under an appropriate caption such as "exceptions," or "exceptions and reductions," except that if an exception or reduction specifically applies only to a particular benefit of the policy, a statement of such exception or reduction shall be included with the benefit provision to which it applies;
(6) Each such form, including riders and endorsements, shall be identified by a form number in the lower left-hand corner of the first page thereof;
(7) The policy shall contain no provision purporting to make any portion of the charter, rules, constitution or bylaws of the insurer a part of the policy unless such portion is set forth in full in the policy, except in the case of the incorporation of, or reference to, a statement of rates or classification of risks, or short-rate table filed with the director;
(8) When the policy provides payment for medical or surgical expense to the insured, on a reimbursement basis, or otherwise, the insured shall be entitled to a free choice of medical doctor to perform said services, or the free choice of a podiatrist if the latter is authorized by law to perform the particular medical or surgical services covered under the terms of said policy; and
(9) When the policy provides for payment for the expense of services that are within the lawful scope of practice of a duly licensed optometrist, on a reimbursement basis or otherwise, the insured shall be entitled to a free choice of medical doctor or optometrist to perform such services.
[41-2103, added 1961, ch. 330, sec. 492, p. 645; am. 1965, ch. 47, sec. 1, p. 72; am. 1967, ch. 47, sec. 1, p. 88; am. 2007, ch. 148, sec. 1, p. 427; am. 2009, ch. 125, sec. 1, p. 391.]
The Idaho Code is the property of the state of Idaho and is made available on the Internet as a public service. Any person who reproduces or distributes the Idaho Code for commercial purposes is in violation of the provisions of Idaho law and shall be deemed to be an infringer of the state of Idaho's copyright.