WORKER'S COMPENSATION AND RELATED LAWS -- INDUSTRIAL COMMISSION
EMPLOYMENT SECURITY LAW
72-1333. Department of labor -- Authority and duties of the director. (1) The director shall administer the employment security law, chapter 13, title 72, Idaho Code, the minimum wage law, chapter 15, title 44, Idaho Code, the provisions of chapter 6, title 45, Idaho Code, relating to claims for wages, the provisions of section 44-1812, Idaho Code, relating to minimum medical and health standards for paid firefighters, the disability determinations service established pursuant to 42 U.S.C. 421, and shall perform such other duties relating to labor and workforce development as may be imposed upon him by law. The director shall be the successor in law to the office enumerated in section 1, article XIII, of the constitution of the state of Idaho. The director shall have the authority to employ individuals, make expenditures, require reports, make investigations, perform travel and take other actions deemed necessary. The director shall organize the department of labor which is hereby created, and which shall, for the purposes of section 20, article IV, of the constitution of the state of Idaho, be an executive department of the state government. The director shall have an official seal which shall be judicially noticed.
(2) The director shall have the authority pursuant to chapter 52, title 67, Idaho Code, to adopt, amend, or rescind rules as he deems necessary for the proper performance of all duties imposed upon him by law.
(3) Subject to the provisions of chapter 53, title 67, Idaho Code, the director is authorized and directed to provide for a merit system for the department covering all persons, except the director, the division administrators, employees of the Idaho career information system, and two (2) exempt positions to serve at the pleasure of the director.
(4) The director shall make recommendations for amendments to the employment security law and other laws he is charged to implement as he deems proper.
(5) The director shall have all the powers and duties as may have been or could have been exercised by his predecessors in law, except those powers and duties granted and reserved to the director of the department of commerce in titles 39, 49 and 67, Idaho Code, and he shall be the successor in law to all contractual obligations entered into by his predecessors in law, except for those contracts of the department of commerce, or contracts pertaining to any power or duty granted and reserved to the director of the department of commerce, in titles 39, 49 and 67, Idaho Code.
(6) The director shall provide administrative support for the commission on human rights pursuant to section 67-5905, Idaho Code.
[72-1333, added 2007, ch. 360, sec. 8, p. 1065; am. 2008, ch. 97, sec. 1, p. 263; am. 2010, ch. 248, sec. 4, p. 638.]
The Idaho Code is the property of the state of Idaho and is made available on the Internet as a public service. Any person who reproduces or distributes the Idaho Code for commercial purposes is in violation of the provisions of Idaho law and shall be deemed to be an infringer of the state of Idaho's copyright.